Monday, December 4, 2017
by Kevin Henkes
A Nest is Noisy
by Dianna Hutts Aston
A Guide for Children
by Cathryn Sill
A Nest Full of Eggs
by Priscilla Belz Jenkins
For our program today we talked about birds and their nests. Birds can be different colors, sizes and can build different kinds of nests.
For our craft we went outside to collect items to use to build our nests. We found leaves, dried grass, and soft greenery. We used a Q-tip to make eggs, then glued all the items we found outside to our plate to make a nest. Each child was given some feathers and a paper bird to add to their nest.
Saturday, May 20, 2017
If you missed this story time here is what we did:
*marks the books we read
Happy Pig Day! by Mo Willems*
My Friend Is Sad by Mo Willems*
Watch Me Throw the Ball! by Mo Willems*
We started our story time talking about the noises animals make, like:
what sound does a cow make?, a dog?, a cat?, a pig?, an elephant?, etc
Then we played pig and elephant trivia.
When we read "Happy Pig Day" we talked about our favorite days to celebrate
When we read "My Friend Is Sad" we talked about different emotions
When we read "Watch Me Throw the Ball!" we had a challenge between children and their parents/grandparents to see who could toss a ball into a basket
Saturday, February 25, 2017
If you missed this story time here is what we did:
*marks the books we read
Silly Tilly by Eileen Spinelli*
Animals in Underwear ABC by Todd Parr
Bear in Underwear by Todd H. Doodler*
If All the Animals Came Inside by Eric Pinder
Such a Silly Baby! by Steffanie & Richard Long*
Polar Bear's Underwear by Tupera Tupera*
Vegetables in Underwear by Jared Chapman
We glued silly mouth pictures to craft sticks
We listened and danced to "Shake My Sillies Out" from the album Car Ride Fun Kids Sing-Along by Nikki Loney
Wednesday, December 14, 2016
Some great books to share during the holidays!
It is Christmas Eve and Fly Guy realizes that he does not have a present to give to his best friend Buzz--but when he looks around the house searching for something suitable he discovers a stranger in a red suit, and decides to attack with some ninja moves.
Thomas the Tank Engine and his friends celebrate Christmas on the island of Sodor.
Little Blue Truck is spreading cheer by delivering Christmas trees to his animal friends. Can you help count each green tree
When Santa's reindeer get sick, the Little Engine That Could saves Christmas.
Mr. Fish is having a hard time finding the right presents for his friends, until he learns that the best gifts come from the heart
Discover the truth behind Santa's most undercover operation, and join the North Pole Ninjas : protectors of holiday cheer!
The Octonauts are planning to spend Christmas with Professor Inkling at his childhood home, an undersea mountain. But when they arrive the Octonauts discover that a rockslide has endangered the lives of the local creatures - including a rare species of golden coral, and Inkling's little octopus nephew, Squirt! With the help of Tweak's latest invention, the amazing Gup X, the Octonauts must rescue all the creatures and save Christmas. Octonauts, let's do this!
Follows a little boy's construction of a snow dog in the hope of receiving a real puppy for Christmas, a wish that inspires a nighttime visit to the world of the Snow People.
Clementine's life is ordinary in every way except that she is very tiny--a fact that Santa Claus does not seem to understand.
From snow on the ground to making applesauce and latkes to lighting the menorah, this story shows the seasonal and traditional ways we know Hanukkah is on its way
Relates the history of Kwanzaa, discusses the rituals and customs associated with the holiday, and describes traditional decorations.
Simple text and illustrations describe how an American Muslim family observes the holy month of Ramadan.
Tuesday, August 16, 2016
Here are some new books to share about starting a new school year.
by Boni Ashburn
"Twenty young students, some eager, some nervous, some grumpy, prepare for their very first day of kindergarten"
Mission: Back to School
by Susan Hood
"Imagined in the form of a secret agent's set of instructions, Mason and other children negotiate the first day of school"
Sophie's Squash go to School
by Pat Zietlow Miller
"On her very first day of school, Sophie is reluctant to make friends with the other children, preferring to play with two squash she grew in her garden--but when a particularly persistent boy named Steven gives her a packet of seeds as an apology for accidentally ripping her picture, she realizes that it just takes time to grow a friend"
Time for Earth School, Dewey Dew
by Leslie Staub
"Dewey Dot's first day of school on planet Earth is not off to a good start, his clothes don't fit and he looks nothing like the other students, but things start to look up when he makes a friend"
Kindergarten is Cool!
by Linda Elovitz Marshall
"Rhyming text describes the activities a child
experiences on the first day of kindergarten"
A Tiger Tail
(or What Happened to Anya on Her
First Day of School)
by Mike Boldt
"Anya awakens to discover she has grown a tiger tail,
and it just happens to be her very first day of school"
School's First Day of School
by Adam Rex
"It's the first day of school at Frederick Douglass Elementary and everyone's just a little bit nervous, especially the school itself"
Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood
Daniel Plays at School
by Daphne Pendergrass
"Daniel Tiger and Miss Elaina learn to compromise when they want to do different things while playing together and receive Teacher Harriet's gentle encouragement to try to fix the problem themselves"
Clark the Shark
Lost and Found
by Bruce Hale
"While on a field trip to the farmers' market, Clark becomes separated from his classmates and must use his rhyming skills to help him remember his teacher's instructions"
Tuesday, March 22, 2016
For 2015 the Missouri Building Block Picture Book Award went to the book:
by Michael Ian Black
The current nominees for 2016 are:
Simon's New Bed
by Christian Trimmer
Vincent Paints His House
by Tedd Arnold
by Kevan Atteberry
Little Penguin Gets the Hiccups
by Tadgh Bentley
Rex Wrecks It!
by Ben Clanton
Ragweed's Farm Dog Handbook
(Learn from the best!)
by Anne Vittur Kennedy
I Don't Want To Be A Frog
by Dev Petty
Get Out of My Bath!
by Britta Teckentrup
The Whale in My Swimming Pool
by Joyce Wan
Dad's First Day
by Mike Wohnoutka
Voting will take place from September 1, 2016 through December 31, 2016
Tuesday, January 12, 2016
2000 Medal Winner - Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
- Getting Near to Baby by by Audrey Couloumbis
- Our Only May Amelia by Jennifer L. Holm
- 26 Fairmount Avenue by Tomie dePaola
2001 Medal Winner - A Year Down Yonder by by Richard Peck
- Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer
- Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
- Joey Pigza Loses Control by Jack Gantos
- The Wanderer by Sharon Creech
2002 Medal Winner - A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park
- Everything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath
- Carver: A Life In Poems by Marilyn Nelson
2003 Medal Winner - Crispin: The Cross of Lead by Avi
- The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
- Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff
- Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
- A Corner of The Universe by Ann M. Martin
- Surviving the Applewhites by Stephanie S. Tolan
2004 Medal Winner - The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a
Spool of Thread by Kate DiCamillo, illustrated by Timothy Basil Ering
- Olive's Ocean by Kevin Henkes (Greenwillow Books)
- An American Plague: The True and Terrifying Story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793 by Jim Murphy
2005 Medal Winner - Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata
- Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko
- The Voice that Challenged a Nation: Marian Anderson and the Struggle for Equal Rights by Russell Freedman
- Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt
2006 Medal Winner - Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins
- Whittington by Alan Armstrong, illustrated by S.D. Schindler
- Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow by Susan Campbell Bartoletti
- Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
- Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson, illustrated by Hudson
2007 Medal Winner - The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron, illus. by Matt Phelan
- Penny from Heaven by Jennifer L. Holm,
- Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson
- Rules by Cynthia Lord
2008 Medal Winner - Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz
- Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis
- The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt
- Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson
2009 Medal Winner - The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, illus. by Dave McKean
- The Underneath by Kathi Appelt, illus. by David Small
- The Surrender Tree: Poems of Cuba's Struggle for Freedom by Margarita Engle
- Savvy by Ingrid Law
- After Tupac & D Foster by Jacqueline Woodson
2010 Medal Winner - When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
- Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice by Phillip Hoose
- The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly
- Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin
- The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick
2011 Medal Winner - Moon over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool
- Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm
- Heart of a Samurai by Margi Preus
- Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night by Joyce Sidman, illustrated by Rick Allen
- One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia
2012 Medal Winner - Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos
- Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai
- Breaking Stalin's Nose by Eugene Yelchin
2013 Medal Winner - The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
- Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz
- Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World’s Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin
- Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage
2014 Medal Winner - Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo
- Doll Bones by Holly Black
- The Year of Billy Miller by Kevin Henkes
- One Came Home by Amy Timberlake
- Paperboy by Vince Vawter
2015 Medal Winner - The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
- El Deafo by Cece Bell
- Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
2016 Medal Winner - Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Pena
- The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
- Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson
- Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan